Understanding Your Assessed Value
Resolving Assessment Concerns
Guide to Property Assessment in Ontario
Residential Property Assessment in Ontario
Small Commercial and Industrial Property Assessment in Ontario
Farmland Property Assessment in Ontario
Recreational Waterfront Property Assessment in Ontario
Guide to Property Assessment for Newly-Built Homes
Aggregate Sales Data
Market Model Information
To establish your property’s assessed value, MPAC analyzes property sales in your community. This method is called Current Value Assessment.
It is used by most assessment jurisdictions in Canada and throughout the world. In addition to sales, we look at the key features of every property. As many as 200 factors are considered when assessing the value of a residential property. Five major factors usually account for 85% of the value:
- lot dimensions;
- living area;
- age of the property, adjusted for any major renovations or additions; and
- quality of construction.
Other features that may affect value include: number of bathrooms, fireplaces, garages, pools, whether properties have water frontage, and so on.
We analyze the key features of your property with sales of comparable properties in your community to determine your assessment.
To learn more about how MPAC assesses properties, view some of the brochures below or contact us.
- Resolving Assessment Concerns
Details on the Request for Reconsideration process
Details on the Assessment Review Board Appeal processes.
- Guide to Property Assessment in Ontario
- The Guide provides general information about Ontario’s property assessment and taxation system. While it does contain some information about commercial, industrial and special purpose properties, the guide focuses primarily on residential and farm properties. It will benefit anyone who wants a basic understanding of property assessment and its relationship to taxation.
- Residential Property Assessment in Ontario
- Small Commercial and Industrial Property Assessment in Ontario
- Farmland Property Assessment in Ontario
- Recreational Waterfront Property Assessment in Ontario
- Guide to Property Assessment for Newly-Built Homes
- Aggregate Sales Data
- Market Model Information