Assessment Procedures to Change School Support Designation


To describe the steps required for a property owner or tenant to change their school support designation in the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation’s (MPAC) database.


MPAC maintains school support information for every property in Ontario as required by section 14(1.1) of the Assessment Act. School support information is included on every Property Assessment Notice.

It is not necessary for a property owner or tenant to have children in order to support a particular school board or to vote for its trustees.  However, section 16(4) of the Assessment Act requires that the school support designation default to English-Public unless the owner or tenant advises MPAC otherwise.

Sections 236 and 237 of the Education Act set out the requirements for property owners to indicate their school support. The Act provides that qualified owners or tenants may designate support for each residential property they own or lease. Where a person owns or leases more than one property in a school board jurisdiction, all properties must carry the same support.  The Act also allows for qualified individuals to vote in the next municipal election for trustees for the school board they support.

There are five school support options available:

  • English-language Public Board;
  • French-language Public Board;
  • English-language Catholic Separate Board;
  • French-language Catholic Separate Board; and
  • Protestant-Separate School Board (available in Penetanguishene only).

To support a separate school board, the property owner or tenant must be Roman Catholic.  Not all school boards are available in all municipalities.  Owners or tenants may only direct school support to one of the boards operating in their municipality.

Separate School Lease Agreement

A Separate School Lease Agreement allows people who jointly own or rent a property to designate school support to the Separate School Board when one of the owners or tenants is non-Roman Catholic.

The Separate School Lease Agreement allows the Roman Catholic joint owner or tenant the right to designate the school support for the non-Roman Catholic. Otherwise, the English-Public designation applies as required by the Assessment Act.

Only one school support designation is allowed for each household (e.g., a self-contained residential unit) and only Roman Catholics may support a separate school board.  If only one owner or tenant qualifies, the separate school board should be contacted so that a Separate School Lease Agreement can be mailed.

The Process

When a property owner or tenant calls MPAC to change their school support designation, his or her identity will be verified for security purposes. See the Procedure for Caller Identity Verification for more information.

MPAC will confirm the school support information on file for the property and if a change is required, the property owner or tenant will be asked to complete an Application for Direction of School Support form. The form can be obtained from the local school board office.  As required by section 16(3) of the Assessment Act, changes to school support designation must be made in writing.

Once the Application for Direction of School Support and/or School Support Lease Agreement are completed and signed, it can be returned to MPAC via email or mail:

E-mail: Contact Us

Mail: MPAC
1340 Pickering Parkway, Suite 101,
Pickering, ON L1V 0C4

MPAC staff will process the school support designation change upon receipt.

Related Information

Assessment Act, section 16
Education Act, sections 236 and 237
Procedure for Caller Identity Verification

Note: This procedure has been developed to provide the public with a general understanding of the process to change school support designation.  The applicable law prevails to the extent there is any conflict between the procedure and the relevant law.

Note: The applicable law prevails to the extent there is any conflict between this information and the current law. This information is not intended to provide legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.